Monday, November 05, 2007

Saints and Sinners

Some of my favourite worship songs are-
- Amazing Grace
- Be Thou my Vision
- Gloria- U2
- Our God Reigns- Delirious
- Indescribable- Chris Tomlin
- 40- U2
- Anything by REEDSTAR!


I went to see Shane Claibourne speak last week. He was talking about how the world needs to see Christians as being broken, screwed-up sinners just like them. Not the pious, holier-than-thou image that is often portrayed.

I saw a song on TV today that reflected this. Unfortunately it wasn't on a Christian channel. Rather it was MTV2 and a flippin teeny-bopper goth band. A song called 'The River' by Good Charlotte.

Good Charlotte for goodness sake and yet the lyrics seem to reflect the gospel message more than many of the white-washed vacuous 'artists' that you would find in a CCM magazine. Here's the chorus, watch the video below:

They say that evil comes disguised
Like a city of angels
I'm walking towards the light

Baptized in the river
I've seen a vision of my life
And I wanna be delivered
In the city was a sinner
I've done a lot of things wrong
But I swear I'm a believer
Like the prodigal son
I was out on my own
Now I'm trying to find my way back home
Baptized in the river
I'm delivered
I'm delivered

I confess I'm a sinner
I've seen a vision of my life
And I wanna be delivered

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Johnboy I have been waiting eagerly for your top worship songs list and I was not disappointed, especially by your last choice!! If you were at church on sunday ud have heard 2 of the songs on the list (not the u2 ones though!)..not sure if "anything by reedstar" was just a joke, but your past blog did actually challenge me to attempt and write something different for the band. It takes alot to challenge me so well done! Missed you at cell on friday we all had a great night at steves. Hope you had a good time with whats her face. See you over the week no doubt, later mate nick

Mimosa said...

oh be thou my vision and amazing grace! Love them. My favourites too. Amazing Grace goes before anything else pretty much! I know that Good Charlotte song. Also thought it rings some familiar bells. Apparentily the singer or some in the band have some church background..Very honest song, isn't it? I like it. Mimosa

00 said...

Thanks for the Good Charlotte song/video. I've been pondering a lot the difference between secular and sacred music....what makes a song one and not the other vs. how we (referring mostly to Christians) at times arbitrarly label songs one or the other.